Friday, December 12, 2014

Cooking With Kids.


Mason and I have been struggling lately. We are having a hard time connecting. The kitchen is where we have the most fun. He likes to help. "Mommy we a team", he says to me every time we do something together. It's been close to a year since he started showing interest in the kitchen. 

At first I was hesitant to let him help. I was afraid of him getting burned or hurt. I knew there would be a mess and I was also afraid of that. He loves the kitchen and creating in it. I am no one to stand in the way of that. Since we settled into our own place I allow him to help more and more. A few weeks ago we made homemade chicken nuggets. Today we made pineapple upside down cake. 


Logan has a therapist that comes over twice a week. It is so tough to have to tell Mason he can't join in. He doesn't understand that his brother gets distracted easily. I need ways to distract him while the OT is here. The kitchen was great. Reading and coloring don't always work. He really enjoyed helping, and the cake turned out well. 

The point of cooking with him was to have him included in an activity where he's usually told no. It distracted him from not being able to join his brother, but also allowed him to do something HE enjoys. If you haven't noticed kids love playing "adults". This was Mason's time to play cook. 

I took the opportunity to also use this as a learning experience. In the process we counted the ingredients, said colors, and also taught him to recognize numbers. Cooking with kids can be fun after all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment