Thursday, January 15, 2015

Edible Homemade Finger Paint (3 Simple Ingredients)

Hi guys!

Yesterday was my son's second birthday.  I wanted to go to the park and have a picnic lunch with him, but it has been raining and icky for the past couple of days. We played inside instead. 

Since it was his birthday I wanted to do something fun. I thought as a way to celebrate it would be nice to let the boys do something that didn't exactly get done regularly. I've been trying to get more crafty. The hard part about that is that Logan chews and eats things that are not food. Some examples are things like paper and crayons, and he chews on just about anything. 

For awhile I have seen numerous articles on homemade art supplies, like fingerpaint and play dough. I haven't tried doing those yet because again Logan eats things and I was afraid. That's how I came about homemade edible paint. Of course I googled it. Most articles and recipes called for cornstarch. I don't have any, so I googled it without and came across one done woth flour. 

All you need is:
-1 cup water
-1 cup all purpose flour
-food coloring


The kids loved it. It was very easy to work with and less watery than non-edible fingerpaint. It flowed nicely on the paper. When Logan tried kicking it I didn't have to worry that he would get sick or something, and it was a very easy clean up. The only thing I would do differently would be clothes. I would say that if you don't have a smock of some sort then it's best to let your child do it in a diaper or clothes that aren't supposed to stay clean. Logan got a bunch on his pants and it's been hard to clean off. The floor was easy, but the clothes...not so much.

Below are some of our pictures from yesterday. The paint does not crumble off the paper and it took about 20 or so minutes to dry. 


Below is the link where I originally got the recipe from. She has also added her own thoughts on her mixture. 

http://mamaot.com/2013/04/14/homemade-edible-finger-paint-no-cornstarch-needed/







No comments:

Post a Comment