Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Reading Before Bed

Image Credit: Google 

For as long as I can remember I have loved to read. I read food packages, street signs, billboards, cosmetic bottles, and pretty much anything you can think of. Since I learned and understood the English language I have loved a good book. I used to swallow a 500 page book in a week...if we made it that far. 

Though I was never that mom who read to her baby in-utero. I always knew I wanted to read to my kids. I pictured myself sitting in a rocking chair before bed reading the book they picked. I wish I could say I have read to them always, but I haven't. At times I have, just nothing consistent. Until recently. 

About a month or two ago we got a library card. When we brought the boys for the first time they were in awe of the place! We started checking out books for me to read to them occasionally. My 3 year old though kept asking for a book before bed. 

One day when we went in I decided to start checking out a bunch of books. The books are due back in 14 days, so I checked out 14. One book per night until they are due. Every night I read them a new story, and they were so eager to hear it. I enjoy that time before bed when we just relax and listen just as much as they do. I feel as if hearing my voice for those 15 minutes or so helps them settle down. It's become part of our bedtime routine, and my son Logan takes notice if it doesn't happen. It's such a great thing! 

Taking the time to read to the boys before bed has allowed them to settle down easier. They go to sleep with less of a fight, and if I don't read you can notice something is off. They love it so much that through out the day they will bring me a book. My son Mason will say "mom could you read me story please?" When I do I get a "thank you mommy you the best" from him. That's all the reward I need. 

Do you read to your children? If so, how often? Do you take your kids to the library? 

Xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment