Saturday, November 22, 2014

One Day at a Time.

Image Credit: Google Images.

One day at a time is my new motto. I cannot dwell on yesterday or worry about tomorrow. I must focus on today. It's choosing everyday to celebrate the little things. Like getting to have coffee before the day's chaos begins or the kids take a nap AT THE SAME TIME! That happens so rarely that I would celebrate regardless, but you get the point. Positives over negatives. Look at the negatives with a positive outlook. 

That can be so hard sometimes. Actually that's always hard. It's hard to keep a positive mindset when all things seem to be against you. Last weekend we were driving to one of Logan's many appointments that week, and I asked Carlos if everyone really struggles like we do. I was in a very negative mindset. Mentally and emotionally exhausted from all the week's events. As I observed traffic I wondered what everyone is always such in a rush for and if anyone ever feels like I am. 

I'm pretty sure plenty have before me and plenty will after me. I am not alone. I pray a lot. No I don't bow down or get on my knees, but I am in constant conversation with the Lord. Lately, I've asked a lot of why me? Why my son? I've felt so alone. So, because I wonder if people ever go through what we do God showed me they do, and that I should never judge a book by its cover. 

On Wednesday while at work, a customer walks in. It was almost closing time. He asked where the Aquaphor was. When he came over to check out he asked, "Do you have any store coupons I could use?" My response was, "no sir, we don't keep coupons in the store." I thought he's so well dressed he's just seeking a discount not wanting to pay full price. He was well dressed. Very well groomed. How superficial of me right? When he went to pay he pulled out a Ziploc full of coins and said, "this is all I could scrape together." 

The way he was dressed meant nothing. He is struggling just like the rest of us. Perhaps he was dressed the way he was because he was seeking employment. That instance everything came into perspective. It really really clicked! We're all fighting our own battles. We all worry about tomorrow. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Someone always has it worse than you. I am blessed no matter what! 

Logan's situation has humbled us. We are more compassionate and sympathetic because of it. Finding out that my child has special needs changed me. It softened my heart for more moms than before. I now don't roll my eyes at the mom struggling with her cranky child. That is me a lot. I give her a warm smile because I know what it's like to be glared at. I've turned red and hot of embarrassment too. 

As humans, we are so quick to throw judgement, but very lazy to lending a hand. All we need is love. Compassion. Understanding. 

What are some things that have brought life into perspective? 

Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment